View Single Post
Old February 16, 2018   #30
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQWIBB View Post
I start eggplant seeds a week later than my peppers and a week earlier than my tomatoes. March 3rd this year
That's about when I start mine also. They can be slow growing at first, but will catch up with & pass the peppers in a few weeks.

We grow several of the the long, Asian-type eggplant varieties. Our favorite ways to eat them are as battered & fried "fans"; chopped into an omelet; in a salad with fresh tomatoes & okra; or as one of the many vegetables in the Filipino soup pinakbet.

To make the "fans", we first steam the eggplant whole until cooked, then allow them to cool & peel them (we freeze a lot of them at that stage). With the stem still attached, we slice lengthwise several times away from the stem, then dip them into a spiced egg batter & fry them. After being flattened with the spatula, they widen at the blossom end, forming a fan shape. You hold them by the stem to eat them... all of our children & grandchildren love eggplant this way. Any remaining batter is scrambled with the pan leavings, which is how we discovered how good chopped eggplant omelets are.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote