View Single Post
Old February 15, 2018   #12
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I know it's not an option for everyone, but if the opportunity arises, try growing in an Earthbox. I grow in the ground, in various containers, but anything grown in an EB outshines them all. I have 4 now, and save 1 for either peppers or eggplants. They go bonkers in there. I recommend EBs now to all my friends who are not gardeners but want to grow tomatoes like the ones I've been giving them, because I know that they will not be successful without hard work and perseverance. Most people do not want to hear about amending the soil, fertilizing, etc. They want easy. EBs in my opinion are fool-proof, IF you follow directions to the letter.
The initial cost may be high, but they last a long time and you do not have to replace the soil medium every year.
To avoid disasters like labels getting mixed up or picked out by little kids I no longer do labels. I write directly on the seedling pots, and if the pots are black I use white pens. Works like a charm. By next year, they will have faded a bit so I can write over them if it's a different variety.
Hope you have better luck this year!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote