View Single Post
Old January 23, 2018   #137
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Yes, all peppers need hot soil to do well ... the namesake "King of the North" implies that it might do well in Northern climates but my experience is that it does not. I've been growing it for years (not sure why) and it really isn't worth the garden space - definitely looking for another good zone 5 Bell !!! My Cubanelles and other 'sweets' quickly out perform and out-taste them.

Many years ago I posted link to a comparison of bell pepper variety production in a northern zone (sadly the information has been taken down and I didn't save a hardcopy - lesson learned) and you are correct, King of The North is a stingy producer, PERIOD!

There are two bell pepper discussions you may want to search this board for , most recently akmarks' top producers in his greenhouse, and an older thread from a former member Hermitian (SP). The heavy producers of bells are hybrids, and some are hard to find in smaller quantities. There was some talk of a group hybrid bell pepper seed buy in, but I didn't follow this. Something to consider once again, if there is enough participation

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote