View Single Post
Old January 22, 2018   #37
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
Wonderful!!

My children and I have worked on far smaller community gardens, and my two complaints were the food is limited to a few recipients, even when I suddenly lost my job I could not get any of that food that we spent hours every week picking right thru my weeks of unemployment. Second, handing out food does not solve the problem of "teach a man to fish". Lack of food is a complicated issue. In my experience, food supplies are very controlled with lots of rules when big government is involved. Lots of hurdles to jump over....

I live in a community of no high rises. The church steeple is the tallest structure. Hundreds of duplexes lines the streets around the old mills. Meaning each home has a small front lawn.
I agree completely. Having the people receiving the benefit take part in the planting, production, watering, weeding, etc is very important. I think we can all agree that it is very satisfying seeing the fruits of our labor. The community garden route sounds like that might be best. Amazing how much can be grown in just a small area. Good luck!