View Single Post
Old January 16, 2018   #90
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

No perfect tomato......

SInce most of the early tomatos are determinate as far as I can determine, I expect to pull these early producers when the next wave of tomatoes arrive from other varieties.

The springs here are notably cold. OFten rain, cold and longer than usual. Likely the new normal. ANd the temps and weather swings like a pendulum. My 14 yr old mentioned yesterday the phrase "just wait a minute,......" then couldnt recall the last line. If you dont like the weather, just wait a minute. His chuckle acknowledged that he finially understood the trials of NEw England weather. This winter has seen more very low temps, again, after a weirdly warm winter last year, and Im concerned a very cold spring will follow just as before , not a mild spring like last year.

Last summer July and August became a drought---not likey this year but sure to have many more days HOTTER than usual. recent years have seen more and more days over 90. The 100 year average shows 86 as the average high. BUt given the increasing number of days over 90, the spring tomatos are not likely to do well, and other varieties must pick up the slack, a few heat tolerant varieties to round out the summer selections.

Ah New England!
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote