View Single Post
Old January 15, 2018   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

This will certainly help in understanding the role of salt in growing tomatoes

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.4w0SYoLVSWI

It's in Israel where they germinate seeds in non salty water and then tranfer seedlings to brackish water.

They have no choice b/c of the topography there where brackish water underlies the fields. And yes, some of their tomatoes, which they export everywhere,are grown ingreen houses.

I know someone who monetarily supported the development of what they do.She asked for certain ones,you could get cherries,beefsteaks, etc.,to be sent to her and me both and had someone drive my portion up here to me in upstate NY

There's a place in the US in the SW where they also have been doing something similar,since the water table has gone way down and salt has come way up.

There are also those places where they add salt deliberately to raise the BRIX level.A lot of research in the past 20 years or so has led to those genes that impart salt tolerance for growing not just tomatoes,but other crops as well.

And there's one person that some of us know who would sprinkle salts from different areas and countries to see which ones increased the TASTE,for him, of tomatoes.

I don't have time to grab articles to verify what I've said, but please remember that GOOGLE is your best friend always.

Carolyn,