Thread: Weather
View Single Post
Old December 20, 2017   #1554
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well we had our blizzard/big dump of snow nominally 37 cm and I believe a record for the day Saturday past. I haven't been in the mood for shoveling but finally went out yesterday for several hours and cleared most of it... because today it's raining and 3 C/ 38 F. I was hoping the rain would be just enough to get the shoveled areas down to the bare ground.. but so far it doesn't look like it will be enough. Leaving me with a long messy lane of slush and ice hazard when it freezes up tonight. I may even try to clear some of it this afternoon, as I don't want hazards when friends are expected! Dunno if any of you have ever shoveled slush, but it's a nasty business, no doubt about it. And I will remember to pick up some sand or salt when I go out this afternoon, because there's no way I will have a safe way to walk all the way. The slush I move will still leave pools of water and the snowbanks will add to that meltwater before it freezes. Our highs will be below freezing for the next three days, then 8 C is forecast for xmas eve, and above zero xmas day and boxing day. Those highs are great news for me, no worries about icy driving. You just can't expect a full crew on the snow clearing on xmas day, and I feel bad for the guys who do end up having to do the job.
And all of that is about typical winter weather for us: messy, a yo-yo, and unpredictable. I never mind a wet day above zero, myself. Always happy to see snow melting.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote