View Single Post
Old November 12, 2017   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default other recessive traits that could show up

I guess I should mention the recessive traits which are listed in the last column, and could still show up in F3.

Yellow, if still present, would produce a green-when-ripe. I think this is unlikely because I didn't see any yellow in later generations of Hope's Early, but it's still possible it was present in the F2.

Semi-determinate is quite unlikely, because it is linked to the Beta orange gene. I selected away from that when I chose the Winter Plum F1 (no Beta).

PL is certainly possible, maybe most likely of all, since there were PL siblings of Whiskeyjack F2, which is RL wispy. I selected RL-wispy seedlings in the F2, because I am not a big fan of wispy PL. Why because it makes it more difficult to identify a problem when the leaves are curly and droopy anyway. I'm always thinking the plant looks like hell when they are perfectly happy, as I learned from growing the mother line "Hope's Early". Some find it pretty, and I guess at its best it can look a bit like curly hair 'ringlets'. But wispy-RL at least in these lines looks a bit more robust for my liking. Here's a pic of two Hope's Early plants to give you an idea of that wispy PL foliage "look".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HopesEarly-wispyPL.JPG (326.9 KB, 236 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote