View Single Post
Old November 6, 2017   #61
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
I'm a beekeeper folks. Most beekeepers in the U.S. treat their bees with pesticides to kill varroa mites. These pesticides can show up as residues mostly in the wax but also in the honey. A few beekeepers such as myself went to the trouble to select and breed bees with genetic resistance to varroa so that we do not have to treat for mites. For this reason, I can legitimately state that my honey is produced by bees that have never been treated with miticides.

The devil is in the details. Even though I do not put pesticides in my hives, my bees forage on flowers up to roughly 2 miles from the hive. This includes large areas farmed for corn, soybeans, pastureland, hay fields, etc. Some of these areas are treated with chemicals such as neonicoteinoids, herbicides like roundup, antifungals, etc. I can't in good conscience advertise my honey as "organic" because the environment contains chemicals. This does not mean my honey has large amounts of chems. The amounts would be extremely small measured in parts per billion. According to govt standards, there is no problem eating food with such small amounts of contaminants. I generally agree that the amounts in question are so small they don't matter.

On the matter of goats, there are three common goats in literature.

Scape Goat - this is the goat that had sins heaped on his head and he was led into the wilderness to carry them away.

Judas Goat - This goat is staked out to attract feral goats so they can all be captured and disposed of. There has been a lot of work in Texas using Judas pigs with radio trackers to find and eliminate feral hogs.

Sacrificial Goat - This goat is separated out and fed to the lions so the lions will leave the rest of the goats alone. This is the Goat Worth should probably have mentioned instead of the scape goat.

There is one other Goat worth mentioning called an Old Goat. If we live long enough, most of us will be referred to as an "Old Goat" at some point. I won't apply the appellation to Worth, clearly he is a Spring Chicken.
There was also the Pontiac GTO with the big block high performance engine in it nicknamed the Goat.
Worth
This was back in the days when pollution was fun!!!!
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote