View Single Post
Old July 18, 2007   #6
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
Three years is a long time to have an undiagnosed problem -- must be frustrating. Have you considered submitting a sample of an infected plant for testing?

Yes, but my county agent is not very helpful in that regard. I called to ask about doing just that. He's only in his office one or two days a month, insists it has to be a plant that just died, (within 24 hours), and his office hours are typical day hours, which would clash with my work schedule, not to mention suddenly taking an unscheduled day off is just not done where I work (UPS). It's just not practical for me to try to do that.

And yes, it's EXTREMELY frustrating, to the point that I'm considering only growing cherries next year. They are the only thing that holds up to this disease. If I do grow something other than cherries, it will probably be something experimental, such as growing in pots or straw bales, or trying varieties that have some resistance to wilts and seeing if that makes a difference. Every time I go out and find a previously healthy plant dead, I just feel like screaming, raving & ranting and throwing a hissy fit. I don't, but it's tempting.