View Single Post
Old July 14, 2007   #38
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I made another visit to Suze's yesterday. We stopped well short of tasting 49 tomato varieties this time. A dozen seemed plenty.
Actually, it was thirteen. I don't think I wrote down the BW Sud, and I think you forgot about tasting it again since you think it just doesn't compare to your beloved FlipTX strain.

Also, in general, I think the taste of much of what we sampled was a bit watered down due to all the rain the week before.

Quote:
Pink: Aunt Ginny's Purple, Earl's Faux, Brandy Boy, Grandfather Ashlock, BW Sudduth
Earl's Faux was the best of the bunch. AGP was second.

I thought Grandfather Ashlock was better than average, but no blockbuster. However, one I've eaten since our tasting was much, much better -- probably an 8.25. BW Sud was watery -- it can be fickle, but when it's good, it is very good indeed. I ate one yesterday that was top notch; one of the very best tomatoes I had all year.

Brandy Boy is pretty good! I like it, didn't think I would. However, it doesn't seem to be any more productive for me than BW Sud. Both are loaded this year; in a normal hot Texas year, results would probably vary. I almost started to put a Brandy Boy in one of those boxes I sent Carolyn, and tell her it was a "mystery heirloom", of course breaking the news to her after she tasted it. But that would be wrong. *snicker*

Quote:
Black/Purple: Vorlon, Brad's Black Heart
Both were great, better when it's not so rainy. They also could have been a little more ripe.

Quote:
Green: Green Giant, Humph
Green Giant - 9 easily. I really love it. Humph is also very, very good - 8.5-9.

Quote:
Orange/Gold: Summer Cider, Yellow Brandywine (Platfoot), Aunt Gertie's Gold, Gingersnap
I like the golds fine, but the ones we tasted could have been a little riper.

AGG and YB rate a 9 easily when dead ripe. Unfortunately, not that productive for me. Summer Cider - 8 to 8.25 and fairly productive -- at least 20 tomatoes from one plant.

Kellogg's Breakfast (not tasted) is definitely above average, but never has been a real blockbuster to my tastebuds.

Gingersnap - *cringe*

The "corking" (weather checking) is probably more due to the extreme amount of rain than the relatively minor amount of heat I've had here this year.