View Single Post
Old August 26, 2017   #1
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default My tomatoes taste different every year

As anyone else noticed this? I don't mean they will all be better one year or more productive or what ever else could be effected by weather, soil amendments, watering, fertilizer, etc. I mean I plant the same few tomatoes that are my "must haves" every year, all together in the same garden, which has basically the same soil and amendments and weather for all the tomatoes. One year the standout for taste will be Mortgage Lifter, another year it will be Brandywine or KB, and this year it is Cherokee Purple. CP has been good for past few years, but not great. However, it is outstanding this year. Last year it was SOTW. There are no "duds" in these tomatoes for me, they are all good. But one always seems outstanding and it can change year to year. Just makes me wonder what other variables might be at play here. Gardening is kind of like medicine, a science for sure, but also still an art. There is so much I still don't know. I never stop learning and it never gets boring. I love discovering which tomato it will be each year, and which ones will surprise me.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote