View Single Post
Old August 10, 2017   #12
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Everybody ....There appears to be little credibility here with different answers from all three garden centres down here... my main concern was getting a bag of a mix that is sterile ...I do not want my seeds growing in disease?? Tomorrow I will grab my bike , a magnifying glass and my camera and go and see what I can find in the centres....I am going to try some seeds on a damp paper towel, roll it up and put it in a Lock-type bag on a pet heating mat and when a root appears put it in Sphagnum moss with Perlite ,Vermiculite in self watering propagating cells ??......Now I see the recipe on a University post but it puzzles me cause the main ingredients are listed by part and the rest IE Calcium etc by volume which does not make sense to me ...Maybe somebody could clarify this for me....
BTW...My main seeds I am trying are from a Hybrid so I will just have to take what turns up??... The first plants from the growers are about 3 weeks away so that will be a back up for me...I have seeds for Myra's Not From black Tula with a potato leaf and I am desparate to get these growing cause I believe these may be something special...

Oakley has mentioned heat treatment and I wonder if I should do this with anything I get.....I saw put in a flat tray then in a 180 degree oven??? I wonder for how long.....

Yes Worth1...I think you are referring to kauri logs ..much sort after in the top of the north island ...I am in the deep south and I know there is peat down here somewhere so I will try to find out where it is....
I have bought soil raising mix from nurseries ...One in particular looked like it was made of crushed glass...Seeds did grow but only about 50% of them in it..
Thanks Mk
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote