View Single Post
Old July 16, 2017   #2889
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Please help. I know that it is a BER and it is more common in tomatoes growing in containers. I only grew few tomato plants in containers and have little experience in it, most my plants were in tomato beds. Some were great and some had BER.
This year I mixed peat moss with garden soil and were adding fish guts and heads, egg shells, and other fruit/veggie cuttings over the winter (composting). I have 16 tomatoes in containers. Most of the plants are doing great. Just having BER problem with plants that produce many fruits at once. What should I avoid doing in the future? I considered fish and egg shells added over the winter to be enough calcium supplement to already mixed garden soil. Some people do not recommend peat moss. Any advise, even for the future references. What should I stay away from? What is a must to do?
This few tomatoes were picked from one Not Purple Strawberry plant, two more fruits left on it with no BER symptoms yet. I gave Osmocote (spoon per plant) and Epsom salt only once about a month ago. Couple of weeks ago I dusted them with Bonide Garden Dust (has in it Pyrethrin, Sulfur, Copper). Last two winters are not cold long enough to kill bad insects. On top of everything I started my seedlings with store bought soil (never again). It was infected with some bugs almost not visible. I treated it with Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis/Mosquito Dunks.

I consider all my Floridian friends experts in container growing. I have to learn how to grow in containers before moving.

thank you
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-07-16 at 8.17.10 AM.png (360.9 KB, 76 views)

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote