Thread: Fusarium Wilt
View Single Post
Old June 26, 2017   #175
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Another crop that was commercially/professionally grown here was peanuts. I remember seeing one farmer's last harvest back in 1986. He was a friend of my wife's family. It was my first time to see RKN damage, but I had no idea that was what it was. The farm is located 53 miles west-northwest of us. The closest town to the farm is Tolar, Texas (Close to Comanche Peak Nuclear power plant.) The picture is from the internet, but his plants looked identical.

Today, I pulled a tomato plant that had a lot of RKN infected roots that were typical in size. It also had one short root about 3 inches long and over an inch wide. It was a RKN factory. Fusarium signs is why I pulled the plant. I did cut into the lower main stem. and yes, it was ridden with fusarium as well.

I have seen so many local professional farmers quit farming over the past 30+ years. Even more backyard gardeners quit.

Tomorrow, I will be pulling many tomato plants from the main garden. I could see the yellow wilting plants from 30 feet away. I didn't have to go out in the garden to know what I was seeing. It is disheartening to see the results of Fusarium and RKN.

Yesterday, I planted out 11 tomato plants in our onion beds. According to things I've read is that RKN doesn't like onions, but there is something called fusarium basil rot - Pathogen: Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. cepae. http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/r584100611.htmlI have not seen that in our onion roots. I'm hoping the tomato plants planted directly in the onion beds have a chance. If the tomato plants grow and produce... We'll see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peanut_rootknot_nematode_pic_300x274.jpg (41.9 KB, 55 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote