View Single Post
Old June 19, 2017   #17
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
The Franchi Red Pear is a cuore di bue type.

The Italians and the French call 2 types of tomato cuor(e) di bue/coeur de boeuf. One is this fluted piriform type. The other is the "classico" type, which is what we think of when we think "oxheart". Calling the piriform one "cuor di bue" is more common in Italy.

There are varieties that are called simply "cuor(e) di bue" or "coeur de boeuf", just like there are varieties that we encounter which are simply called "oxheart". But, just as "oxheart" is also a generic name for a type of tomato and is also a part of the official variety names of many oxheart varieties, "cuor(e) di bue" works the same way--except that, in the English speaking world "oxheart" means actual heart shapes, whereas in many European countries, it means either the heart shape or the large piriform.

Italian wikipedia page for cuor(e) di bue describes both types.

Piriform called "coeur de boeuf" on Tania's tomatobase.

French wikipedia page about coeur de boeuf also describes both types.

Even the German speaking world calls the piriform "Ochsenherz" ("oxheart").

I can only read about 20 words of Russian anymore, but it does seem to me that the Russians agree with Americans on the fact that "oxhearts" are only the truly heart shaped varieties (broad shoulders, narrow bottom).

That's too bad! I'm surprised. Franchi Red Pear was the last of my plants to get any kind of fungal disease in my garden. Super productive for me and delicious.
Yes, Gor. Oxheart, beef heart ... are just shape descriptors not varieties, like cherry, grape.

On the subject of disease magnets, it so happened that the hear shape varieties got the disease. The other one was Darin's Dotson's Lebanese Heart. The other plants next to them were perfectly healthy. I pulled them. But took cutting from Franchi or CDB. Now they are growing. The Franchi that I pulled replanted in my compost pile. Still alive. Very wisbily. hehe. A volunteer cherry in that pile is thriving fine. I have another diseased magnet. It is Old German. I just let it be, as an experiment. This tells me that varieties have differen level of immunity and resistance.
Sorry for the detour, Big V.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote