View Single Post
Old June 11, 2017   #2845
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlynnMarcks View Post
Do you plant yours in the soil or in containers? Do nematodes affect them?
I grow Broccoli and Snap Beans in a Raised Beds (RB) full of compost which set directly on native soil. This means there are nematodes in the RBs. Brassicas such as Broccoli and Brussel Sprouts seem to be totally resistant to nematodes.
I also grow Bush Snap Beans in RBs but the nematodes don't seem to bother in the Spring. However, in the Fall nematodes seem to be in higher concentrations and they do appear to reduce the productivity of Snap Beans which I grow in the RBs. I just consider 3/5 the amount in the Fall that I normally get in the Spring is better than no beans at all.
There are other factors in the Fall that may add to reduced yields of Snap Beans. Two appear to be Common Bean Mosaic which most beans seem to be resistant to and the other is Rust which much fewer varieties are resistant to. I have had good success with Crockett variety in the fall and it is resistant to Rust. This fall I will also try Boone variety and it as well is resistant to rust.
Also, I have grown both Broccoli and Snap Beans in native soil, which is largely sand here in Orlando, but I have only had minimal success.
Oh, there is one exception. That being Rattlesnake Pole beans and they seem to grow almost anywhere.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; June 12, 2017 at 09:38 AM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote