View Single Post
Old May 26, 2017   #22
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
To direct seed in the south you would want to "winter sow" them. In other words prep your bed in the fall and plant the seeds. Then cover the bed with something until Spring. Once it gets warm enough remove the cover and let them germinate naturally.

I have done this with cherry tomatoes and they are almost impervious to disease. I usually just let them sprawl and they never have problems. I was somewhat amazed by it tbh. They grew fast, were healthy, and took zero upkeep. The milk jug thing would work but that is more effort. If you just cover the seeded bed with cardboard or anything to keep the dirt from washing away and the birds from getting the seeds you can "set it and forget it" so to speak.
I didn't think about covering them with cardboard before germination. That should insulate the soil, keep it moist, attract worms, and be a lot less work than using milk jugs to warm the soil. I've never tried sprouting tomatoes without light, though. Are there any caveats to that? Plus, the soil would still be flat.

Edit: I guess I misread your post. Sounds like you meant something similar, but different than my first thought, and longer-term. I was thinking putting out the cardboard in the spring when I want them to sprout; plus, I thought about taking it off only after they do sprout, but I think I understood that you weren't suggesting that.

Last edited by shule1; May 26, 2017 at 05:51 AM.