View Single Post
Old May 16, 2017   #12
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post

Joseph uses those to vibrate his tomato flowers.
Well it works doesn't it? LOL

Here's how I do crossing-quick,easy & cheap:

It all starts with a tiny buzzer I made myself.Practically the same thing as the pollinator rod,but smaller.The motor is from a broken cellphone(they all have these tiny motors with counter weights,that's how they vibrate).
The flower from a pollen donor is touched with the needle on this device while it's turned on,and it is very effective at draining the last drop of pollen from the flower,while silmutaneously pollinating that flower as well.

The pollen is collected in tiny receptacles made from paper that has one black side(obviously you want to use black so you can see the pollen)

The flowers are then emasculated and pistil pressed gently into the pollen pile at the center of the pollen receptacle.
Every flower needs to be tagged.I make tags from plastic bottles.

I scratch all the information on it with this here tool,it's just a stick with a piece of glass at the end to scratch the plastic with.Glass works best because it's very hard:

Tagged flowers:

The thin wire can be found in every electric motor,i wound it gently aroud the flower.As the pedicel expands the wire bends outwards and does not choke it:

The tags made this way are resistant to the elements and can even be re-used.With this practice I've pretty much had 99.99% pollination success and zero off-types in offspring so far.
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote