View Single Post
Old May 15, 2017   #282
Keen101
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanns View Post
I will try that cross. I have several different accessions of habrochaites and 1 of pennelli in "wintersown" boxes outside. Might be interesting to see the results. Some plants of habrochaites have a strong smell of Dill others don`t. That is very pleasant even if it isn`t probably edible as a spice like Dill. It adds some more variation in tomatoes. I plant to cross habrochaites with domestic tomatoes.
Cool! I don't know if these were the exact papers i was reading the other day but here they are anyway.

Quote:
Solanum pennellii hybridizes in both directions with L. hirsutum and unidirectionally
with L. esculentum with great ease. The high level of fertility existing between these three species
points to a close phylogenetic relationship.
Quote:
For example, in our two mapping populations, the phylogenetic relationships among the three species involved are still not definitively resolved, but a consensus phylogeny based on data from AFLPs, cpDNA restriction sites, and sequences from granule-bound starch synthase and internal transcribed spacers indicates that S. habrochaites (SH) and SP share a more recent common ancestor that either species does with SL
plus S. pennellii and S. habrochaites are in the same branch next to each other on the phylogenetic tree. I think they both have small green fruits so i'm not sure exactly what if anything useful would come from such a cross, but might be interesting non-the-less. I also believe that wild plants are easier to cross as hybrids themselves than pure breds anyway, so it's possible that a pennellii x habrochaites F1 or F2 hybrid would be more genome compatible with S. lycopersicon anyway, but who knows, maybe not.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1211768/pdf/795.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2475745/
Keen101 is offline   Reply With Quote