View Single Post
Old April 27, 2017   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I use Miracle Grow Seed Starting Mix. But, I sift it to remove the larger pieces found in it. I add some Biotone to it to help with micros. I usually use two bags each year, which accommodates 4 each of the 72 cell flats. I keep them inside in a temperature controlled room where 80 degrees F is maintained until time for potting up.

At potting up, they go out into the garage and the temp is lowered to about 65 F. Until the seedling has a full set of real leaves, I do not add fertilizer. Watering is kept up, but only to keep the mix from drying out completely. For all of my container plants, I will use MG potting mix with some amendments. For my garden plants, I will plant the entire root ball (usually a 9 oz plastic cup full) into a hole and tamp it in.

Here's why I use MG. I feel it keeps the plant in a consistent medium and that means less stress. I think that I get healthier plants and better production because the plant is not so much concerned about its environment. It doesn't have to keep on "recovering" from another change to its world.

Yes, I'm weird, but this is how I've always done this. I keep things consistent to keep the plants happy.

And, yes, they talk to me about this stuff.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote