View Single Post
Old April 17, 2017   #16
bower
Tomatovillian™

It's no joke that people died horribly in the good ol days.
My parents grew up in small rural communities and in those days, spent their childhood watching other children being buried of one disease or another.
When we were kids, there were vaccines, and you better believe we had em all. There was no question that it was worthwhile, and much safer than doing without! Our folks were very serious about that.
In my family we also had a whole slew of extra vaccines before we moved to South America. I remember it was not pleasant - I hate needles, and besides my arm got sore and also had sniffles or not feeling well after some of them. But still, it was better than having Yellow Fever or something. If I had to travel now, I would for sure get any vaccines recommended for the place I was going.
The purpose of vaccines was pretty well imprinted on me, and I was happy for my son to have them when he came along, including some new ones that spared a few 'childhood diseases' which I didn't enjoy having.
But now his generation are having children, and suddenly there are concerns about vaccines that I find hard to understand. I don't remember anybody getting autism or really anything more than a sore arm maybe sniffles.

I'm definitely not an advocate for big pharma, I don't use chemical drugs of any kind, and won't unless it was a last resort. I think the flu vaccine is a bit of a scam, they don't really do a good job of it and they're certainly making a bundle on 'protection' that doesn't really cut it.

But the other vaccines are an important basic medicine IMO, and I'm glad I had them.
I hope whatever proof of safety people feel is necessary, that they do provide it, and make it less of an issue for the next generation of children.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote