View Single Post
Old March 28, 2017   #12
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I think you got to rinse the Coir to get the salts out. The pre-rinsed coir is REALLY expensive. The hydro store told me to rinse the bricks until the water came out clear. I used the blue Walmart bags for that and elevated it to make sure the water was clear. At one point I left them outside for the rain to wash them for over 6 months.

----
On Tomato Tone, it says to use 2 Cups per cubic foot; so that would be 4 cups for an Earthbox. In the fall, I used the 4 C of TT and Plant Tone combo - then I switched over to just using Master Blend liquid solution. Because of this, I am really concerned about using my mix again.

ProMix by me is really expensive as well - $41 + 7% tax.

I'm testing an EB now with a 1.5 Cubic Foot of Lamberts Potting Mix - nice and light - no junk, decent size Perlite. It was <$8 at Walmart. To save $$$$$, I'm thinking of forgoing the LOAF. I stopped using the EarthBox covers (ran out) and have been using White Compactor Bags - about $.30 each. I then found I don't need to double up on them so can get 2 EB on the same bag making it $.15 each.

Then Marsha gave me a link where the guy stuffs the cover underneath. I've done this twice now with the compactor bags. So if I can fill an EB without the Loaf with 1.5 Cubic feet that would reduce the mix cost by 25% no matter what I used.

Any thoughts about forgoing the loaf?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote