View Single Post
Old March 28, 2017   #43
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
Several years ago I made a trade with an Italian that lives in England. She sent me several Italian varieties (no piennolo type) and a couple of Spanish varieties. One was just named De Colgar. I finally got to planting all of them this year. It will be interesting to see WHAT De Colgar I have.

I also have the Piennolo that was sent around by Fusion, tho it didn't grow well for me originally. I'm also growing that this year again. So many interesting varieties and characteristics to watch.

Not on the list of "long keepers" is the variety Red October. It was a commercial variety for a few years about 10 years ago. My Ukrainian worker at that time was excited about it since that is a popular Russian name referring to the 1917 revolution. I don't believe I have any seeds for that one any more tho.

Carol
Carol, sorry to tell you but with something just named de Colgar since there are many of them and they can be very different.

You used to be a listed SSE member but checking I see you aren't any more, and I ask since if you were you could see how many different ones that Ilex lists in the current 2017 SSE Yearbook

As for Red October, I remember that one as well,went looking,Tania doesn't list it and now I know why.

I did a Google search and this is what I came up with

https://www.google.com/search?q=red+...&bih=790&dpr=1

I couldn't tell from the listings if it's still being sold but yes,an F1 hybrid and with few exceptions Tania doesn't list any hybrids.

Carolyn