View Single Post
Old March 22, 2017   #18
Malabar Circle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilex View Post
No, de colgar tomatoes are not dried, nor intended for drying. They are used fresh or cooked, not dried. They are hanged, because that's how they store longer, but can be stored in other ways.

I'm not sure I tried the right thing. What I grew as Piennolo was not that good, and it didn't store for long. Everybody says otherwise and that's why I'm not sure I grew the real thing. What I do know very well is that "de colgar" tomatoes can be extremely tasty with amazing quality right from the plant.

You don't know all the "de colgar" varieties, nobody does. Their diversity is overwhelming with many many hundreds of varieties.

There should be more than thick skin to make it a long storage tomato. As I wrote above, many de colgar varieties can be eaten fresh from harvest.

I've heard a lot of stories telling that a certain variety will only taste well in a certain place. Obviously conditions affect flavour, but the only way to compare things properly is under the same conditions.
Good varieties, when grown under good conditions, tend to be good tasting, and better tasting than bad varieties. I'm not so sure that a special adaptation will prevent great flavour when grown in places were tomatoes in general develop great flavour.
Hi there,
I beg to differ. "to dry" was not the best word i could choose. We have many dry tomatoes and it is a different thing. Maybe seasoned..not sure, but the point is they are used a few months after harvesting them.
In one of the videos i embedded, the guy is cooking spaghetti with Piennolo, when he cuts them you will see that inside they are not dry at all.

I've lived in Spain 2 years, 1 in Sevilla. While in marbella i' ve seen many women utilizing tomatoes de colgar in a similar fashion to the Piennolo, when they had already been harvested for a while. They were consumed fresh as well, but trust me...not only.
If you speak Spanish, this is a video that will clarify this for you. And she says that they consume them in winter as they last long time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqXtivaTOw

No, i haven't tried all varieties of the colgar, but certainly the most common ones, those that are readily available.
The only way to know if Piennolo works good in your climate is to get some real Piennolo seeds (if it is something you care about obviously), as the ones you said you tried, sound a bit bogus to me.
Malabar Circle is offline   Reply With Quote