View Single Post
Old March 7, 2017   #169
coronabarb
TomatovilleŽ Recipe Keeper

<<Why would I have a comeback to dispute your concern. Sorry you feel that way about me.>>

Because you have in the past had comebacks when I've voiced my concerns over unsafe canning practices.

I don't like cake either, unless it is a moist, very dense cake like apple cake. Soft, fluffy cake loaded with frosting is not my thing.

And the cured meat thing...there are opinions on that in various places. My MFP instructor is old school Dutch (English is her second language) who still lives on the farm. She likes all the Scandinavian dishes like pickled fish and smoked tongue. She's been teaching that in our MFP course every year. Not my thing. Anyway, when our Facebook canning group was discussing canning ham, I decided to ask her opinion. She looked at me funny and said "why not?". I understand why NCHFP takes a particular stand like this because like you said, they have to allow for variables when people can. Curing changes density and it is on them if something goes wrong. So, they say no. To me, that's a grey area.