View Single Post
Old June 15, 2007   #31
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Actually when done in the marmalade form, the beets don't taste like "beets"....says she who normally bypasses beats with a 30 foot pole!! During the war years in the UK, beets were grown as a sugar source crop. So there are many recipes that date from that era or before when sugar was either scarce or too expensive. I've added other things to the onion and beet marmalade like raisins and currants, but that turns into more "chutney-like" condiment. You can also add some chopped tart apples, mangoes or pears with it. And if I didn't know for sure that there were BEETS in the marmalade, I'd swear it didn't taste like there were.

But you'll never know if you don't try it. LOL. House rules around here are unless allergic to something, try it once. If you don't like it, you'll never know if you truly do or don't like it. And believe it, it was funny listening to my niece who was about 5 at the time tell some finicky teenagers the house rule ~ basically shaming them into trying something. And the best part is that they liked it! LMAO.

But hey, don't shoot the "messenger"....lol....these were only some suggestions.

And does this mean you don't want any more onion recipes?....lol
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote