View Single Post
Old February 17, 2017   #179
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I agree that you will be having slower growth with your growing conditions. I have mine in a greenhouse which gets up in the 80s most days and doesn't cool down inside below about 50 at night this time of the year and they are getting natural light in abundance. These conditions probably result in faster growing and tougher plants which will speed up my timeline. Like I said it is better to have larger plants to set out than smaller ones with the windy weather of spring as long as they are supported immediately.

You know your experience much better than I do so you should go with your gut feeling. The worst that will happen that way is you might be ready a bit earlier than anticipated and that shouldn't be a problem.

Bill

Thanks again! I'm going to go with the second version and will take notes for next year. As I said in my original post about my timeline, a week or two early isn't a bad thing and easily managed, whereas a week or two late would be disastrous for me. I would then be left with a choice between delaying or cancelling this year's trip, or not getting plants into the ground until the end of June.

My goal is always to set out large enough plants by Memorial Day that they can be immediately tied to a stake, and have two weeks of growth and additional tying up before we leave. Over the years I've I had the timing nailed down perfectly for conventional plants, but starting from scratch this year with grafting!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote