View Single Post
Old June 10, 2007   #25
organichris
Tomatovillian™

The amount of time it takes for bone meal to made available to plants depends mostly on whether it is steamed or not. The steaming process breaks down the bone so the phosphorus is more readily available. Another factor to consider is the microbial activity of the soil. A soil rich in microbes and other micro-organisms breaks down organic matter at a higher rate.

I can't break it down specifically in days, but my experience is that the steamed bone meal seems to be available fairly soon, and the fact that not all of it is immediately available for plant use just means that it is time-released so it remains in the soil to be broken down when needed over time.

I'm a stickler for organics. That's just me. But to understand the organic philosophy is to know that the general N-P-K rules of thumb are much less applicable. In other words, the percentages of macronutrients is somewhat less applicable. Soil science and the organic method are more about overall soil health, which translates into overall microbial activity and plant health. Some (myself included) would even argue a superior product.

I've heard of the fish bone meal, but I've never actually seen it anywhere or used it. I would sure like to get my hands on some. That would probably be ideal for availability of phosphorus, although that's just a guess. And I say that because fish bones, unlike bovine bones, are much softer and would theoretically break down much faster.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote