View Single Post
Old January 23, 2017   #201
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I don't grow determinates as I want the tomatoes to ripen over a long period of time, rather than all at once.

For what it's worth, the harvest window for determinate varieties can vary quite a bit by variety. I have had some yield continuously over the course of the summer, like Sunny Boy, Bradley, and Celebrity. "Determinate" as a biology term just means that each branch ends in a flower cluster and not a vining tip. There are a lot of commercially grown determinates that are meant to have a short harvest window, but they are not all that way. You also see the term "semi-determinate" thrown around a lot by seed companies, but I don't think there is even a precise definition of it.
Quote:
"Determinate" as a biology term just means that each branch ends in a flower cluster and not a vining tip.
that is it.
I have grown determinants that kept fruiting all season long (Siletz )and some that were finished after the first flush (Silvery Fir Tree).
I don't get the "semi" thing either. I think that is referred to compact indet which has slower and short indet growth habit. But it is still an indet.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote