View Single Post
Old January 23, 2017   #23
BajaMitch
Tomatovillian™

AKmark, great observation and comments on 5 gallons of mix. Let us know how two plants in one 5 gallon container does for you. It will be ground breaking news if the "2 in 1" works. I saw an article or a thread on growing tomato plants in nutrient solution only using a 6 inch net pot. The solution had to be constantly aerated, and it worked. At the end of the season, it had a beautiful pristine white root ball at least 1 cubic foot. If a tomato plant can grow in solution only, why cant it grow in 5 gallons of mix - or less?

I planted seedlings from cuttings at different times at the end of last season and they are doing well at this time. The early girl is about 7 feet tall with 4 clusters of tomatoes. Harvested two tomatoes last week. Weird for this time of year. Using the equivalent of master blend solution. Amazing how well the early girl is doing during a fall and winter growth. It has been unusually cold and wet this winter, especially over the last two weeks, but the cuttings are hanging in there. I am growing these cuttings so that I can take cuttings from them to use for this coming season. Will put these next season cuttings in cups of peat and potting mix on Feb 1, 2017 and plant the rooted seedlings in 4.5 gal drip irrigation containers and in 4.5 gallon Self-Watering Containers (3.5 gallons of mix, 1 gallon reservoir) on April 1, 2017 using my version of the Master Blend nutrient formula. I am in Orange County, Southern California. Doing my best to optimize growing in 4.5 gallon containers at the lowest cost possible. So far it costs $3.00 to $3.40 per container for grow media and ferts.

Last edited by BajaMitch; January 23, 2017 at 01:30 PM.
BajaMitch is offline   Reply With Quote