View Single Post
Old January 8, 2017   #15
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

agee12, you don't need to start cucumbers now. From seed to plant out is only about 1-2 weeks, and you can even direct sow them. They grow big FAST. You will be wasting your effort and they would take over your house. Someone near you can give you the heads up when it comes time.

- L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee12 View Post
February 1????

I am still trying to figure out what the tomato strategy should be for people who live in areas with high temperatures. What I am hoping is to get a harvest before the tomatoes go into heat-related dormancy, ride out the dormancy and then get a second harvest. If I am understanding what I've read here that is doable and/or there are varieties that can be planted and begin producing prior to when the high temps kick in and then continue producing during the high temps.

So for me I need to not only factor in the last frost date, I also need to figure out what the window is for my first harvest.

My understanding of peppers is that they take longer to get to maturity but many varieties will produce during the heat, the same applies eggplants.

I don't know what the deal is with cucumbers but I suspect that it is similar to tomatoes. With cucumbers I also have to factor in pollinators.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote