View Single Post
Old January 8, 2017   #87
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by javafxnoob View Post
Interesting thread. It made me think about growing micro variety in pot.

Being a complete noob, i could need some info from experienced growers. I would like to try some red cherry tomato that can grow on windowsill, but to be able to harvest at this time of year. I would like to have my own cherry tomatoes for holiday. Not planing any grow lights however, it would just stand on my windowsill on southeast part of house. I do realize there is not enough light in winter.

Is it possible?

If is I was searching some internet auction sites here. I could easy obtain seed for Vilma or Cherry Belle (I was growing indeterminate version last year, didn't knew there is small pot variety). Any thoughts about those varieties? Or any other suggestion?
I can't give you any help with information about those varieties. I know nothing about them. I've grown several different micros, but not found any I was impressed with. That's why I'm playing with these crosses and sending seeds to whoever wants to help look. Looking for some that are worth growing.

As to growing with only window light, I have grown quite a few tomatoes through the winter with only window light. I turned a south-facing patio beneath a deck into a sun room by glassing it in. The first ones I grew were normal indeterminates in Earthtainers. They actually did fairly well, but were too cumbersome and difficult to work with. I grew a few dwarfs, but have since worked with these micros - some under lights, and some without lights.

I am at about 41 degrees north latitude and our shortest day is just over 9 hours from sunrise to sunset - your day-length may vary. My experience is that here, many produce through the entire winter. However, some don't do so well. They all seem to slow down, both in the quantity of blossoms they produce and definitely in how fast they mature. Some seem to shut down fruit production completely from late November until late January. The plant still grows, but they don't produce fruit.

Most of those I've grown recently keep producing. Those that quit producing were primarily large-fruited indeterminates I grew the first winter. That might be just coincidental. It certainly isn't anything scientific. I'm sure there is a latitude further north at which none will do well without supplementing the light.

i don't have anything stable at this point. I only have unstable F2, F3 and F4s that may or may not produce what you hope for. They're fun to grow, though.

Good luck. PM me if you want to try some.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote