View Single Post
Old January 8, 2017   #30
bower
Tomatovillian™

Ok I've now gone over all the pix and data and got them ready to post... still mulling over what it means, and where to take it next time...

One of the most important lessons for me this year at the Hilbert, is to never underestimate the effects of environment on gene expression. More about that with particular lines...
The weather is always different, but this year we also had other changes.
First, I didn't use the cold treatment for seedlings as I usually do.
Second, I started later than normal so day length was different.
Third, the soil environment was completely different and not for the better.
Fourth, overcrowding in the greenhouse was worse than ever, so I got to evaluate some plants in "deep shade".
Fifth, weather was special, and especially for plants in the hotel "annex", since we had at least two frosts or frost warnings every month of the growing season.

So taking everything with a confounding grain of salt, only time and generations will tell if my tentative conclusions or genetics "lessons" are useful. Everything comes with a question mark...

Except for one thing, which is, I stand corrected... the proper truism is "Build it and they will come" not "let them come, and then you'll build it". And although extra guests can always be accomodated at Hilbert's Hotel, there's no guarantee they will find the accomodations perfectly adequate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hotel-backshot-july20.JPG (414.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Hotel-rails-and-ladders.JPG (355.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg hilberts-shelters.JPG (302.2 KB, 22 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote