View Single Post
Old June 4, 2007   #5
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
What do the plants that do this smell like? Is there a bad odor?

You said the central stem stays green, but inside, is the vascular tissue discolored?

Did any actual wilting of the foliage occur before you started getting the crispy dieback?
Thanks for the quick reply Suze,

The plants don't smell bad at all. Nothing seems to go mushy or discolor very much. Most of the stems stay green but the ones that do turn slightly brown are perfectly green with no discoloration of the internal tissue. I'll have to get a picture of one of the main stems.

There's no wilting of the leaves at all, they just brown and turn crispy. What is interesting though, over the past few days we've had cooler temperatures and the plants that weren't overcome with what ever this is seem to have recovered a bit. They have lots of new green bushy growth up top. I'm not sure what to do...pull 'em out or leave them to see what happens. I guess I'll leave at least a few with the largest, darkest tomatoes as a learning experience.

I haven't seen anything like this before. Certainly not something you would want in a plant you're trying to get people to propagate .

Bruce
chilhuacle is offline   Reply With Quote