View Single Post
Old December 21, 2016   #29
bower
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear that! I also had no trouble picking black fruited from a pool of red or pink on the basis of flower color, again.
But I failed completely, at finding unexpected 'reds' in a black pool. I was so worried about unexpected bee crosses that I misjudged the color changes when the flower is overmature, and thought they were indicating a red or pink therefore crossed. It didn't happen!
And although my shape and size results weren't what I "expected" I think that was naivety on my part, about the amount of variation I should expect in these generations. On the basis of fruit color I have no reason to believe that this was due to unintended crosses.

I also overestimated the vascular issues when I believed there was "pith necrosis" bacteria involved. At the end of season when I cut the plants down, all of their stems were green and solid with no sign of necrosis. So it was purely physiological - a sign of just how bad and wrong that mix was for containers.
I'm hoping to get a chill day between xmas and new years to go through my photos and data and post some results. I did have a cpu crash again this year and the cpu I used as backup later crashed too, so I may need some fun with a screwdriver and a toaster to retrieve all the photos from July and August. Another reminder.... it is better to share than to hoard your data and pix!!! Just do it, when ever you can.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote