View Single Post
Old November 13, 2016   #31
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Plastic netting is cheap. So is pvc conduit. If you are only using it to support netting, you could get away with a much less sturdy structure than what would be required to support greenhouse plastic. I have bought "wildlife netting" fencing at Menard's. It was I think $25 for 7' x 100'. It could be stitched together, I am guessing, and used to enclose a garden.
This past growing season, I was able to keep the squirrels out by using a combination of 6 or 8 foot tomato stakes, Quest Bird Dfence black netting, twine, and plastic tent pegs.

I use the twine to 'sew' the netting together and hold the netting to the top of the tomato stakes where needed. The tent pegs are tacked into the ground to keep the squirrels from getting in.

My structures are temporary for the growing season and I take them down for the winter.

This fall, I put netting secured by twine to 4-foot stakes around my strawberry and garlic gardens to protect them from squirrels over the winter. ... I'm hoping this will be enough to keep them out over the winter.
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote