View Single Post
Old October 18, 2016   #24
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Down here in disease central I use several fungicides regularly. I usually start out with Daconil for the first few weeks and then start switching back and forth with a copper spray about every 7 to 10 days. Despite that diseases still show up eventually in our hot humid climate and then I will use the bleach spray as soon as a problem shows itself then resume my preventive sprays of the two fungicides. I also mulch heavily and keep my plants pruned to allow good airflow and sunlight. I envy people who live where spraying isn't necessary and disease pressure is light; but I wouldn't trade it for my very long tomato season which allows me to start eating fresh tomatoes in late May and right on through November or beyond.

Bill
Bill, I think you're right. Our season is too short here to make tomatoes commercially profitable to grow, when you consider it's also a four month investment of time and space before you see a fruit. Adding spray routines would only add to the costs, including labor. We do have fewer diseases but just one disease on a susceptible plant is enough. Tough choices.

I just finished cutting down my last greenhouse plants today. Too cold and short days now.

So I have to make one plug for genetics and growth habit. I had this microdwarf "Red Dwarf" in the greenhouse since I started this spring. It was neglected in a corner next to a cold damp wall, not even proper sunlight, no cage so it sprawled down over its pot, and I never even bothered to pick a sick or buggy leaf off it until today. I cleaned it up and I was amazed. Yes there were some yellow leaves and some dead leaves on it shrivelled up, but no grey mold on the stems whatsoever. Considering every plant in the overcrowded space had lost most of their stems to mold by now, in ideal conditions for disease plus plenty of spores, I am really impressed. The plant has a fair bit of fruit on it and is putting on new leaves and flowers. I managed to get a cage on it for support, and I'll be bringing it indoors for the winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red-dwarf-october.JPG (290.4 KB, 141 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote