View Single Post
Old October 15, 2016   #30
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Johnny's white cherry two years now. And no longer. It is in the dud pile. I think that pile has about 24 varieties that i've bundled together so not to be tempted to grow again. A bit bland and not a very productive one. Maybe 2 dozen toms the entire season.

My favorite, hands down, in the small cherry/grape category is CubanYellow. Only mentioned a couple time here, in passing, on a couple threads. Like all tomatoes, they do well for some and not every climate, or personal taste, etc.

Im curious if low acid is what you are looking for, or just another variety for color and size to round out your mix. Probably why i purchased and grew white cherry. Not for low acid, just looking for another good producer/color in my cherry salad mix.

I have a dozen toms i always grow...CubanYellowGrape has moved to that list. With SunGold, AnnaRussian, CherokeeChocolate, GGWT, etc....Tomatoes that do well for me in the August heat and cold/damp NorthEast June/September. Producing all through the season. And always trying new ones.

We host a tomato tasting menu every year, the end of August. Peak harvest time. A three year old, "I'm almost four!" visited a few times over the past season. Children in the garden is a joy. At the party, being familiar with the garden, she took a tray and the rest of the kids to the garden to pic cherries. (I left a ton of ripe ones for them). They came back with a full tray but no CYG. "oh, we ate those 'cuz they are the yummiest". They picked a dozen antho for beauty. She even knew to look under the black stem end for a red/pink blush. Declared by all a "spitter", lol.

SunGold has such good overall flavor and why so popular...having a good burst as a snacker...yet CYG is so tight in its skin, like a very tight over-filled balloon, thin-skinned, and more of an explosion of flavor hitting all the taste buds. Also a good keeper, picked Sunday with other cherries, in the tomato cherry bowl all week. By Wed-Thurs i start freezing my cherry mix whole as they ripen into qrt zip-locks for winter cooking.
It has that perfect balance of tart/sweet lemonade with a hint of honey...and tomato flavor lingers.
The first tomato in the garden and even with some browning foliage is still producing today, October 15th!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cuban yellow.jpg (277.6 KB, 308 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote