View Single Post
Old October 3, 2016   #198
shule1

I believe I've read that exerted stigmas are a trait if parthenocarpic plants, and pollination is still possible even after the fruit has been developing, in this case (the stigmas continue to live longer than usual after the fruit begins to develop, which is seedless if it doesn't get pollinated). I don't believe most known parthenocarpic tomatoes would be well-adapted to an arid climate, since most of them have been bred in western Oregon, but I think it's good to consider. I'm experimenting with adapting Oroma and Legend to our semi-arid climate, but this is the first year (Legend seemed more adapted on a foliar level).

I don't know how often non-parthenocarpic tomatoes exert their stigmas.

I haven't checked my parthenocarpic tomatoes for exerted stigmas, yet. I can take a look.

I checked. It looks like all the flowers have been pollinated, as they all seem to be in the process of producing fruit! I guess they like the late season here most the first year (even though it's still semi-arid at this time, fortunately), which makes sense. They didn't produce much fruit earlier. These are shaded plants, though. Oroma has been doing much better in the shade. There are no stigmas on the fruit. It's possible they don't get exerted stigmas, but they could have just been pollinated. The stigmas of parthenocarpic plants are supposed to shrivel after sufficient pollination, I believe. I need to check my plants in full sun, still.

Last edited by shule1; October 3, 2016 at 04:41 PM.