View Single Post
Old September 29, 2016   #189
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Hi Joseph -

What a lovely family photo, including your extended vegetable relatives. You and your produce look very healthy and stress free. I've been following your posts for several years, and learned what landrace gardening is from your posts.

I have a corn question for you. Yes, I live in the CORNHUSKER state, Go Big Red, etc. But "I' failed twice at growing corn. Both times , in the same garden but different plots, I got corn smut. The farm was a community garden with virgin soil. They two tries were both ordinary commercial sweet corn varieties. Another grower down the row had good corn but it weeded over. Most corn grown in this state is field corn for cattle, and now ethanol.

My growing partner successfully grew Glass Gem for decoration only purposes. He has a supply of sweet corn from his relative which he generously shares. I would still like to try growing my own little patch of corn again. Do you have corn smut in your climate, and if so have you had any success selectively breeding it out?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote