View Single Post
Old September 23, 2016   #114
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes I make comments here for myself because I cant remember what I found or discovered.
This has been a long hard trip for me because I dont have a teacher and have to teach myself.
One of the problems is the metric and imperil charts and how things are done.
The other is people not using lead and pitch correctly.
Out of all the looking I found one gear site that sells gears that explains things.

The confounded DP imperial chart makes me have to do a bunch a math to figure out what the pitch or lead is on a worm shaft.
I need to start writing these formulas down before I forget them as I still cant find my books.

But the good news is after I found what I needed I was able to convert things to thread pitch on the lathe.
Then I looked at the charts the one engineer put up in one of the links at the beginning of the thread and found every one of them or something so close it didn't matter.

Here is what I have done.
On the lathe I have taken the middle idler gear and flipped it around so now it runs off the 91 tooth gear instead of the 86 tooth gear.

This allows me to be able to flip the bottom gear G from one gear to the other.
If I keep it running on the 91 tooth gear everything stays the same.
If I flip it around so it runs off the 86 tooth gear and F gear the top gear stays on the 91 I get more ratios.
By keeping the F top gear running this way or swapping out the F change gears, flipping the G bottom gear or changing it to the 60 tooth I have close to 690 different gear ratios I can run on the lathe.
Now here is what baffles me.
On the gear chart when running imperil threads it shows the F gear and the G gear running off the 86 tooth idler gear.
Why did they do this?
The middle idler gears do not change the ratio between the driving and driven gear no matter how many or what size as long as they are all in line.
As strange as that may seem.
Or at least what I have read I know the three gear set does it.
Worth

Last edited by Worth1; September 23, 2016 at 05:43 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote