View Single Post
Old September 5, 2016   #1671
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Barb- I sow in 72 cell kits, the sunflowers each got their own cell. A lot are up now.
The tomato and pepper seeds were from 3-12 per cell, depending on how many I needed. I put them the full 1/4 inch deep this time, I used to put them on top, then just sprinkle a bit more seed starter over them, but I always got a lot of helmet heads. This time I want to see if sowing a bit deeper stops the helmet from happening, but it is taken a little longer to see that familiar "elbow" as the seedling starts to come up
RE: Helmet heads - I've pretty much eliminated them by starting everything in the paper towel method. I never had cucumber seeds with HH, but there is a cucumber site and it was recommended there; so I did it anyway and this is when I had the 12 hour germination and then < 24 hours for the seed to pop up in the mix.

Then tried with peppers where I always had a lot of HH. Major success and much quicker to germinate in the mix.

This year I tried it with tomato seeds; When I left, I sowed the dwarfs and some others where I had a lot of seeds straight in mix and left them. All the others were sown in the paper towel method. When I got back the ones sown in the mix had a huge % of HH and the ones in the paper towel virtually had 0.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote