View Single Post
Old August 29, 2016   #483
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default long day at the office

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I agree, being multi-lingual is an excellent ability to have, and also agree with Carolyn about Latin, since it is the root of several languages. Staring so young, when the mind is pliable and accepting, plus having access to classes in other languages from native speakers at reasonable costs is such a stroke of luck!

I keep struggling with Spanish though, and have Audible Spanish tapes tapes to listen to and attempt to learn from. I may mangle it, but will keep trying as I think it is important and a major language to be able to at least understand.

I wish both you and your son many happy years, enjoying and learning languages together.
Mil gracias!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Instead of me trying to teach the guys I have worked with English I try to learn Spanish from them.
This way I get good stuff at the Taco truck not the gringo egg and potato.
Plus it helps me with my work and asking for tools and such.
It really isn't that hard many of the words are one we use for different things.
By the time it is over we are both speaking a mix of both.
Been a long time though.
Screw=tornillo very close to tornado.
Es=is.
Ladder=escalera think rise.
Hammer=martillo very close to mallet.
Martin martillo grande y escalera amarillo.
It was this or pull my hair out and get mad.

Worth
Escalera think to scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
The catch about learning another language is that if you don't use it, you lose it. Even a person's native tongue can be forgotten if he or she leaves the company of native speakers for long enough.

I once had a girlfriend from the Dominican Republic. She came to the US at 16, speaking no English. I knew her about ten years after that. At one point I asked her, "do you think in Spanish or English?" She had to ponder the question for a moment. She said that it had been long enough since she arrived here, using English every day, that by now she thought mostly in English.

I took a couple years of Latin in high school. It did help with learning legal terms, many of which are Latin. But it made me a pronunciation snob. Since Latin is dead as a spoken language, modern people tend to break pronunciation rules to make it sound more like English. For example, Veni Vidi Vici, (I came, I saw, I conquered) would have been pronounced by Caesar as "Winnie, Widdie, Wickie," which sounds kind of silly in English, like a quote from Elmer Fudd.
Good friend of mine came to visit and he had a masters in classics and spoke only a few words of spanish, it was fun to watch him navigate everything with ease. I was in a similar boat to your Dominican lady, you have to dive in to the language, and in doing so you shed a little of all the others, nevertheless, with relatively little effort you can keep those neuron tracts for the other languages spic-n-span.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
Of course, it is the picture in post 47 of that thread that has peeked my interest. I haven't seen any reports on flavor. Curious minds need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Shouldn't that be curious mouths need to know b/c taste perceptions are transmitted to the cluster of brain cells dedicated to tomato taste.

I'll ask if any of my seed producers who are growing Ribera have anything close to ripe.I can't really tell from inside if one of my pinetree looking tomato plants with practically no foliage is a Ribera one.I do see some large green fruits out there but there are other large ones as well that they could be.

There's also the issue that in Spain they pull the plants when the fruits are only slightly ripe,so I don't know how this fits into the picture either.

Carolyn

Carolyn
The trusses are big on La Ribera, as with most multifloras the fruit set is pretty dismal, and it may been related to bug attacks and harsh weather.

De Colgar 100 averaged about 8-10 per truss.
Papuo 3-9 per truss range, a lot of 3s
La Ribera had lots of flowers and not so great fruit set, with the above qualifiers.

I've harvested fruits and am waiting for them to ripen, so it may be a long wait. They had reached color on the vine for the most part. There's a few I've tried for fresh eating and I'm pretty sure that's not the way to eat them.

The correct way is to wait 3 mos and then smear them on bread.

I've got seedlings for the above three destined for a 2nd fall run, this time with a lot more water restriction.

I should have plenty of seeds for papuo and 100, not so many for La Ribera. In a few months, yes, plenty. I hope.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote