View Single Post
Old August 26, 2016   #21
shule1

Here's my pepper variety list for 2016 (I may be missing a few; unless otherwise specified, they're Capsicum annuum):

Sweet:
• Big Bertha F1
• California Wonder 300
• Chervena Chushka
• Chinese Giant
• Corbaci
• Feher Ozon
• Iko Iko
• Jimmy Nardello Italian
• Jolene's Red Italian
• Lipstick
• Planet F1
• Red Mini Bell
• White Cloud
• Yolo Wonder

Hot:
• Aji Omnicolor (C. baccatum)
• Big Jim Lumbre
• Black Jalapeno
• Carolina Reaper x something? (C. chinense x something)
• Goat's Weed
• Grandpa's Home
• Jalapeno Gigante F1
• Jumbo Jalapeno
• Orange Carbonero (C. chinense)
• Randy Sine's Evil Jalapeno F3
• Ring of Fire
• Tabasco (C. frutescens)
• Yatzy

Since I already have peppers, I'll tell you which ones stick out to me, so far:

Corbaci is amazingly productive and produces really cool-looking, long, twisty peppers. They start yellow and turn red when ripe. When yellow, they have a kind of pearly look to the skin. I haven't tasted the red ones, yet, but I didn't taste a lot of flavor in the yellows. Nevertheless, they're really awesome peppers.

Chervena Chushka is fairly productive, with fairly large peppers and has amazing flavor and smell. The plants grow tall.

Black Jalapeno really is black. It turns dark red eventually. The flowers are purple. It's pretty productive, as most of my jalapenos were this year. It has decent taste when red (I haven't yet tasted it when black).

Jalapeno Gigante F1 produced plenty of peppers of a good shape and size for stuffing, but they tasted a lot like the fresh grocery store jalapenos (not much classic jalapeno taste; I imagine pickling them might fix that).

Grandpa's Home took a while to fruit, but it's amazingly productive, even in the shade. It's looks nice when it fruits.

Orange Carbonero is pretty awesome. It tastes kind of like peaches. Great for flavor in cooking.

Randy Sine's Evil Jalapeno F3 was probably my fastest maturing pepper. It has potent jalapeno flavor even when raw (I cut up a raw one into some maccaroni and cheese and it tasted kind of like bits of bacon). It's not stabilized yet, though. One plant had orange peppers and the other has red. Some of the peppers are super hot and some aren't very hot. My neighbor agrees that they taste awesome.

Jimmy Nardello Italian is very, very sweet.

Feher Ozon is pretty cool.

Some later peppers are looking promising, as they're a fair amount of fruit (Aji Omnicolor, Yatzy, Ring of Fire—which was supposed to be early—and maybe others).

Last edited by shule1; August 27, 2016 at 04:26 AM.