View Single Post
Old August 13, 2016   #1549
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Ginny, those tomatoes are beautiful. Were there less insects to deal with growing up there? What is the bottom tomato?
Hi Kay,

No disease, no pests. I didnt spray or use yellow stickies. I think a part of that is due to this being a virgin tomato plant and veggie yard. There is a perrenial garden but it doesnt show any leaf diseases either.

I'm not sure which tomato you are talking about? The heart shaped are Wes. The purple one is Cherokee Carbon. The yellowish one in between the heart and purple is unknown but tastes and looks similar to Virginia Sweets (it was labeled orange strawberry so should have been an orange heart). The round red ones are Delicious. The pleated red one is an unusally large Costoluto Genovese.

The most exciting plant this season for me was Wes... huge hearts and my plants are leggy and tall and I can see through them so it makes it easy to count the tomatoes. Wes has (including the ones already picked) 39 tomatoes on it. Below is a picture of 6 of those Wes tomatoes piled on a scale and they weigh over 5 1/2 pounds. And its so yummy! I grew Wes in a smallish self watering pot from Home Depot/Lowes (both carry them) and didnt even put in a fert strip. I used TTF daily for a week and then stopped for a few days and then started again. I'm trying to figure out how big these pots are (just out of curiosity) but they dont say on them and I dont know how to do the math.

15 1/2 inches across the top, 14 1/2 inches tall and about 10 inches across the bottom. Not 100% sure about the bottom measurement as I cant measure it properly when full.

One more thing... the days here are longer, generally cooler and the sun is farther away here so not as harsh. I think the tomatoes can get larger because of that. This year wasnt the best year for tomatoes for this area (too many unusually hot days) but I do think this growing environment with the longer milder summer days and good soil make it much easier to grow big beautiful tomatoes. I wish we had this in Florida. Now I know why my northern transplant neighbors told me I would never be able to grow tomatoes where I live in Oak Hill. It is night and day.

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; August 13, 2016 at 08:40 AM.
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote