View Single Post
Old August 11, 2016   #9
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

This is hard neck garlic. No, I would not eat enough garlic to get the money back in one year, it would be an investment to try to get better, larger bulbs that would keep me going in future years. This years harvest was only fair, my first year growing it. I would consider 2" bulbs and up acceptable. I did not have a great harvest at all and got some that size, but not enough to plant and eat. I had many small bulbs that I was not happy with. The smaller bulbs also had smaller cloves. So I would not want to replant those. On my previous post no one seemed to know if it was bulb size or clove size that determined the size of the offspring, or both. I strongly suspect it is both and that I would get larger bulbs if I used large cloves from large bulbs. Last fall I planted all the cloves, large and small, and received a very mixed lot of sizes when they grew out, from 2.25-2.5 inches down to 1". I won't plant the smaller cloves again. Also, if you get more cloves per pound with smaller bulbs then you are also getting smaller cloves, which apparently gives you smaller bulbs later. Its like buying shrimp, lol, the more per pound you get, the smaller they are. But then if they contain all the DNA to make large bulbs, then clove size doesn't really matter, which is not the consensus of opinions I have received here.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote