Thread: Favorite Basils
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2007   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default Favorite Basils

I was just wondering what basil varieties you all are growing and how you use them. I am again growing Lettuce Leaf basil that I mainly use for pesto. This is a smaller plant than the Genovese basil but I think you get more bang for your buck with this. Not quite as aromatic as some of the others but I like it.

Next, another favorite is Greek basil. It's a tiny plant, great for pots, with small leaves that don't even need to be chopped. Once you chop them, they quickly turn black at the edges anyway. I like this on sliced tomatoes and any tomato or cucumber salad. It has fairly strong flavor so it's good that the leaves are tiny.

Several years ago, I grew Dark Opal basil and am trying it again this year, though it's off to a slow start. I like this mostly for the way it looks. It's both pretty and tasty in pasta salad and the small bunches of whole leaves make a nice garnish.

I have not grown Thai basil or cinnamon basil or lemon or lime basil and was wondering what others have to say about those. What's your favorite basil and how do you use it??? Thanks!