View Single Post
Old August 1, 2016   #71
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
I freeze tomatoes and I grow and love Jet Star.So when I heard it was low acid I did a little research to see if I could find out if it really was.

What I found out was when you freeze tomatoes it really doesn't matter.But while researching I couldn't find any proof that Jet Star was low acid.On the contrary what I found was that it was not low acid.

My search took me to a University study on canning tomatoes and Jet Star was one of the tomatoes used in the study.It had a pH of 4.13.I remember Celebrity was another one used and had a pH of 3.90.

To be considered low acid tomato the pH has to be 4.50 or higher.The University of Minnesota I think it was put out a list of tomatoes that were low acid and Jet Star wasn't on the list and just about every well known and not well known hybrid was.

No matter to me cause Jet Star is still flowering and setting tomatoes in this scorching heat and humidity and the taste is excellent.
It looks like I forgot to post one very important link, well actually two links so I'll have to fetch them again.

Actually it was one of the links in the general links I posted above

http://www.harrisseeds.com/storefron...-jet-star.aspx

Harris Seeds were the ones who bred Jet Star F1,and they also say it is low acid and to add lemon juice.

I can't find the other link which is from here at Tville,where you,seaeagle posted about Jet Star.

If you look in the Ball Canning book, a bible for many,you'll also see that Jet Star F1 is listed as low acid and to add lemon juice,and actually there are several places that now say that the contentsof all jars,regardless of a specific tomato variety,should be acidified.

Carolyn