Thread: Fermenting.
View Single Post
Old July 23, 2016   #223
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I'd like to know about the texture of fermented peppers too. Its so convenient to pull out a homegrown pepper in the winter but I always have more than I can use for chili in the freezer.

Cabbage did really well this year so I went back and read most of this thread. I figured I would buy a kit rather than fashion up a crock or try a diy for my initial batch.
I called all the typical kitchen stores like bed bath and beyond with no luck. My last call scored these mason jar kits. The kit is just a lid for a wide mouth mason jar and a weight. It is on "sale" for $9.99 reg $14.99 at Natural Grocers.
Now the watch and wait.

- Lisa
You know,that is a good idea someone had with those weights..actually more like spacers really,but that looks like a good solution to keeping the kraut submerged.I like the idea of a crock and will invest in 1 for sure.The only problem is,that if there are several variations of Kraut,or other ferments you want to try,you would have to wait 4-6-8 weeks for the crock to be available for the next experiment.I'm conflicted between using jars,and food grade plastic buckets for the other "trials".I know that they say Food Grade,but I am still not convinced that they would be safe for ferments.But hey,lots of people use them for that purpose,so maybe I am just overly cautious.